Black Comic Cultures
In this course we will explore a range of black comic cultures, analyzing their emergence and transformation from the early 20th century to the present. Specifically, we will examine blackface minstrels of the early 20th century such as George Walker and Bert Williams, Bill Cosby’s performances in the 60s, and the ribald humor of LaWanda Page’s 1970s party records, before moving to the urban scene embodied in television shows such as Def Comedy Jam. We will also engage with theoretical materials that help us analyze black comedy as multidimensional, such as John Limon’s Stand-up Comedy in Theory, or, Abjection in America. 3 hrs. lect.
- Fall 2014
- Axinn Center 103(AXN 103)
- 3:00pm-4:15pm on Tuesday, Thursday (Sep 8, 2014 to Dec 5, 2014)
- Jessyka Finley
- American Studies
- Program in American Studies
- Requirements Fulfilled:
- NOR SOC
- View availability, prerequisites, and other requirements.
- Course Reference Number (CRN):