Our teachers will be great speeches wherever we find them: from Antiquity and the Elizabethan stage, to Hollywood, the Civil Rights Movement, and TEDTalks gone viral. We will explore various theories of oratory, and, like students of classical rhetoric, we will emulate masterworks in order to sharpen our own persuasive skills. As speakers, we will practice vocal and physical techniques used by actors, as well as their methods for scene preparation. Throughout the semester, students will write and deliver speeches of their own, completing an immersion into speechmaking designed to help them communicate with precision, empathy, and personal conviction. 3hr. sem./disc.
- Fall 2013
- Axinn Center 229(AXN 229)
- 3:00pm-4:15pm on Tuesday, Thursday (Sep 9, 2013 to Dec 6, 2013)
- Dana Yeaton
- First Year Seminar
- First-Year Seminar Program
- Requirements Fulfilled:
- ART CW
- View availability, prerequisites, and other requirements.
- Course Reference Number (CRN):