Gender in Japan
Please register via JAPN 0250A
In this course we will examine changing ideas about gender and sexuality in Japan in the 10th through 20th centuries, with special attention to the modern period. Sources will include literary texts, films, and social/historical studies. We will discuss topics, including women's writing in classical Japan; the commercialization of sexuality in the 18th century; ideas of "homosexuality" in late-medieval and modern times; and women's social roles and political struggles in the 20th century. 3 hr. lect./disc.
- Fall 2013
- Freeman FR2(FIC FR2)
- 1:30pm-2:45pm on Tuesday, Thursday (Sep 9, 2013 to Dec 6, 2013)
- Linda White
- Gender Sexuality &Fem. Studies
- PrgGender/Sexuality/Fem. Study
- Requirements Fulfilled:
- AAL LIT
- Cross-Listed As:
- JAPN0250A-F13 *
- View availability, prerequisites, and other requirements.
- Course Reference Number (CRN):