Intro to Sociology of Gender
Please register via SOAN 0191A
What is gender and what would a sociology of it look like? When did gender become a category of inquiry and more importantly why? We will look at how the meaning and performance of gender changed over time, from Classical Greece to Victorian England, to the contemporary U.S. We will also look at how gender changes depending on one’s position in social space, e.g. one’s race, class, sexuality, and nationality. Finally, we will consider how the need to look at gender is the result of a variety of discourses, from psychoanalysis to capitalism to movements of liberation such as feminism. 3 hrs. lect.
- Fall 2013
- Le Chateau 110(CHT 110)
- 11:00am-12:15pm on Tuesday, Thursday (Sep 9, 2013 to Dec 6, 2013)
- Laurie Essig
- Gender Sexuality &Fem. Studies
- PrgGender/Sexuality/Fem. Study
- Requirements Fulfilled:
- CMP SOC
- Cross-Listed As:
- SOAN0191A-F13 *
- View availability, prerequisites, and other requirements.
- Course Reference Number (CRN):