Woman & Islam
Please register via HIST 0438A
In this course we will examine women's lives in Islamic societies from the seventh century to the contemporary period, focusing on the Middle East and North Africa. Readings will explore a variety of topics including the changing role of women from pre-Islamic to Islamic societies; women in the Qur’an and in Islamic law gender roles in relation to colonialism, nationalism, an Islamism; the experience of women in Sunni and Shi’a contexts; and Western images of Muslim women. (formerly HIST 0416) 3 hrs. sem.
- Spring 2014
- Mahaney Center for the Arts 209(MCA 209)
- 1:30pm-4:15pm on Tuesday (Feb 10, 2014 to May 12, 2014)
- Febe Armanios
- Gender Sexuality &Fem. Studies
- PrgGender/Sexuality/Fem. Study
- Requirements Fulfilled:
- AAL HIS PHL
- Cross-Listed As:
- HIST0438A-S14 *
- View availability, prerequisites, and other requirements.
- Course Reference Number (CRN):