Meaning in Ordinary Time
Beginning with an overview of historical developments within both Judaism and Christianity, we will examine selected holy days, holidays, and life-cycle rituals of these traditions. Selected celebrations will be studied in terms of their development and practice, and their role in expressing a theology and a system of values. We will explore themes such as: the human condition and its challenges; forgiveness, repentance and atonement; salvation; the tension between historical memory and spiritual reinterpretation; and the function of ritual in society will be explored. These will include contemporary issues around gender, emerging practices, and the portrayal of religious celebrations in pop culture.
- Winter 2014
- Axinn Center 219(AXN 219)
- 8:15am-10:15am on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (Jan 6, 2014 to Jan 31, 2014)
- Susan McGarry Ira Schiffer
- Requirements Fulfilled:
- PHL WTR
- View availability, prerequisites, and other requirements.
- Course Reference Number (CRN):