Art and Lang of the Civil War
The course will begin with a review of the major historical events of the Civil War. We will then study the conflict through the paintings of Winslow Homer and Frederic Church, the poetry and prose of Walt Whitman, the photographs of Matthew Brady, and the political writings of Abraham Lincoln. Particular emphasis will be placed upon the thoughts and attitudes of the common soldier as reflected in his diaries and journals. 3 hrs. lect./disc.
- Fall 2013
- Mahaney Center for the Arts 125(MCA 125)
- 7:30pm-10:25pm on Tuesday (Sep 9, 2013 to Dec 6, 2013)
- Christopher Wilson
- American Studies
- Program in American Studies
- Requirements Fulfilled:
- ART HIS NOR
- View availability, prerequisites, and other requirements.
- Course Reference Number (CRN):