Race, Class & Educ. Inequality
In this course we will critically examine race and class inequality in education. We will primarily focus on the U.S. education system, paying particular attention to the often-confusing labyrinth that students and families must navigate. Students will be asked to reflect on their own educational path and how their social position has potentially shaped their educational experiences, opportunities, and outcomes. We will engage theatre, hip-hop, and popular media sources to interrogate the ways schools, students, and teachers are portrayed. Finally, we will examine the impact of educational policies on students, families, and teachers. 3 hrs. sem.
- Fall 2011
- Wright Memorial Theater SEM(WTH SEM)
- 11:00am-12:15pm on Tuesday, Thursday at WTH SEM (Sep 12, 2011 to Dec 9, 2011)
11:15am-12:05pm on Friday at WTH SEM (Sep 12, 2011 to Dec 9, 2011)
- Tara Affolter
- First Year Seminar
- First-Year Seminar Program
- Requirements Fulfilled:
- CW NOR SOC
- View availability and requirements.
- Course Reference Number (CRN):