Teaching French Grammar
This course allows students to reflect on teaching and learning French grammar and spelling.
Three main topics will be covered: spelling, verbs, and determiners. We will strive to answer the following questions in regards to each topic:
1. How does it work?
After considering the descriptions offered by traditional grammar, new approaches will be offered.
2. What is it for?
Instead of the ''rules dictature'', we will focus on the communicative aspect of the language.
3. What are the most frequent errors, how can we explain them and help learners to remedy them?
Our goal is to consider different types of exercises and different learning/teaching strategies.
- Deepen your knowledge of certain specific features of the French language.
- Be able to understand and explain certain rules for communication, and think about what learning/teaching difficulties you might come across.
- Aim to better understand why some errors are persistent no matter what the learner's level.
- Be able to compare and analyze presentations and descriptions offered in the manuals in order to choose those most relevant to you.
- If necessary, be able to question certain clichés and certain types of teaching practices.